Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Chili Seasoning Mix (with Chili recipe)

We had Chili the other night.  Eli (my 8 year old) asked me as I brought the chili to the table what kind of chili I made.  I told him it was the same one I'd always made. 

He responded, "you mean it's a homemade Chili?" 

"Yes Eli, I've always made homemade Chili."

"What?  I thought you just used the boughten Chili!  Wow, I knew you were a good cook, but you're even better than I thought!"

Glad that a bowl of Chili can excite my 8 year old!  And I'm surprised that it's taken him this long to notice that I don't just open a can of Chili every time we have it!:)

I've been using this recipe for years and it is so easy and so good!  We eat the Chili with Cornbread, over baked potatoes, and over our Scones for Navajo Tacos

Chili Seasoning Mix (with Chili recipe)
Budget Dinner Totals: Makes 8 (1 cup) servings (approx.) for $6.57, making each serving a whopping 82 cents per serving!
For Seasoning:
1/2 cup Chili Powder
4 teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon paprika
1 Tablespoon season salt
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2-1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (depending on if you like it HOT!)
2 teaspoons thyme
2 teaspoons oregano
dash of red pepper flakes

Mix all ingredients together in a bowl and store in an airtight container.  I put mine in a 1/2 pint jar.  This recipe can also be doubled or tripled for however much you think you may need.  This recipe is enough for about 6 Chili recipes.

For the Chili:
1 pound ground beef
1/2 onion, chopped
2 cans (8 oz.) tomato sauce
2 cans (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes (I like the petite, but regular works fine too)
2 cans (15.5 oz.) kidney beans (dark or light)
3 Tablespoons Chili Seasoning (from above)

Brown beef with the onion in a large saucepan.  Drain.  Add the rest of the ingredients with their juices, don't drain and rinse the beans!  Stir together and bring to a simmer.  Turn heat to low and let simmer for about 20 minutes.

3 comments:

Trina78 said...

That sounds great. I´ll make Chili this weekend and I´ll try your recepie.
Many greetings from Germany.
Sandra

Frosty the Sno Shack said...

Yummy! I'll have to try this!

Jana said...

Hope you like it Sandra. And thanks so much for stopping by and commenting! I love to see where my readers are from!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...